Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Me, Tourist: The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum

I may not be kissing the Blarney Stone, but I am doing a few tourist-y things while in NI. I took a bus tour, as I’ve said; and I hope to visit a few castles as time goes on. Last week, I went with the other Internationals to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. I hope to go to the Ulster Museum and the Giant’s Causeway later this week, at which time I'll update this entry.
“The people have long gone and their homes have decayed. But the spirit of the past lives on and remains around us.” - from a sign in one of the reconstructed houses
The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum is made up of both indoor and outdoor exhibits. The outdoor areas are, basically, the same style of thing as the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, VA. Houses from different areas of the country have been moved and reconstructed to portray a rural, working-class town of about 1900. There weren’t many people there, either employees or visitors, because this is a low point in the season – but it was worth the visit all the same. It looks the way people in the States think Ireland looks: the green hills, the sheep, the little white houses with thatched roofs.
There were a lot of small townhouses, and several farms and workshops:



Carpenter's
 





Cobbler's
 





Wool to be shipped out by train
 




Outside the basket-maker's
 




Blacksmith's
 





Ballydown National School
 


 The Internationals from urban areas were fascinated by the farm animals: chickens, a friendly pig, and two donkeys.





A nice lady at the Old Rectory gave us fresh-baked soda bread with butter.




We went into the church, the bank, the petty court – where framed past cases hung on the walls, my favourite being:
“ALLEGED LARCENY OF BOOTS”
...  belonging to one John Murphy, a labourer. One Archibald Martin was arrested and, as he turned up in court wearing said boots, was imprisoned for a week.
In the reading room, we got to browse through huge albums of old newspapers:








The museum was followed by a trip to IKEA. The IKEA is one of the largest buildings in the city, and certainly the largest store. It has its own café. I took a cab home, with two others – Jessica from Canada, who lives upstairs from me, and Mellissa, another student from the States. I’d only been in a taxi in New York City before, and was pleasantly surprised that the cab drivers here stay on the road and pay attention to traffic signals.


Next post soon!

4 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the girl taking a picture of the pig.
    I love the beautiful thick walls of the buildings.
    And the newspaper clipping that says "Knowledge is Power, There are two kinds of knowledge, 1st To Know What You Want 2nd To Know Where To Get It" and of course it's about WOOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Katie had to put up with me yelling "Sheeeeeeeep!" and muttering what type of spinning wheel was in your photo. I need to learn how to embroider, I am in lust with the cross-stitches. Keep up the good work!

    PS: What is 2/-? tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so much fun reading your blog. We'll know where to visit when we hit Belfast for a day. When do classes start???

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were some cool-looking sheep. And yeah, they had those little cross-stitch pieces up in nearly every room...

    Classes have already started, this week. I've been to three lectures and a tutorial so far. There's LOTS of reading, and I'm a little terrified of the upper-level Irish history class, as it's full of Irish history majors. The professor gave me this Look and said, "Huh... steep learning curve."

    ReplyDelete