Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tastes And Phobias

Apparently, I really am stepping outside my comfort zone and experiencing new experiences. For someone as stressed by everday life as I am, this is impressive:  

1. I'm afraid of telephones, but I used a pay phone today. I spent 60p and made an appointment for an eye test with a local optometrist.

2. I used to hate fish, but I've learned to love fried fish. This is the “Fish Special” from The Chippie on Stranmillis, which I treated myself to as a reward for turning in my papers. It’s a pile of squidgy chips, crisp chickpeas, and minced onion. They'll ladle either curry or gravy over top, and this is then topped with a piece of fried cod. It’s amazingly tasty.


3. I haven't once taken the elevator in the library. That doesn't sound like much. But this is what the stairs in the library are like:

I'm afraid of heights, and also (though it comes and goes) of stairs. The first time I tried to get to the first floor (what we'd call the second floor) I had to keep stopping to sit down or to grab hold of steps. Now I can walk up to the second floor (the third floor) without a second thought.
When faced with seemingly insurmountable obstacles and terrifying, blank futures - which is sort of my permament state of being - it helps to be able to say, well, yesterday I phoned a complete stranger, and I wasn't sick at all. The day before, I ate a food* I thought I didn't like, and the day before that, I walked up some scary stairs.
Yeah. I rock. Bring it on.

*I DRANK MILK LAST NIGHT, TOO. MILK THAT CAME FROM A COW. AND IT WAS GOOD.

12 comments:

  1. So stressed out right now. Glad to see you're having fun. Found out that I have to submit a suite request since not enough people from the suite are coming back. What this means is that I get to pick and choose who I want to live with which is nice. But I wonder, what on earth are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well like half the suite graduated... who do you have now? I'm sorry, I really don't think I can pay for it. I need to e-mail them and ask how to get a medical single. If not, um, I suppose I'll just hope I don't get put in a party dorm and hope that whoever I get put with is... very patient.

    Bleh.

    Don't be stressed. Why are you stressed? Apart from feeling like the world is ending all teh time, which is normal for college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get to set things up myself since Chris and i can not coexist well anymore. Zack says he may be able to take the single and we're hunting for a roommate pair for the last room. We may be able able to have Mariah if she can come back. She's very patient and I think you'll get along. Then there's me and Zack and Jess and her roommate who is hardly home so she wont be a bother. Dont worry about a thing you're staying in the suite whether you have a single or a double. Like hell I'm kicking my sister out!

    I just need to talk to Joyce and see how to work things out with you returning from overseas. They've changed the housing policy and now we have to pay a down payment for a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the down payment?

    And, Meghan, I can't believe you drank milk. From a cow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this it?
    "Single rooms are then assigned on seniority, based on the total number of credit hours earned as determined by the college registrar. Contact the Housing Office for specific requirements and eligibility for a single room. There is an additional cost of $750 per semester for each single room."

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's that for singles but apparently they're doing something else as well for rooms that started this year. The details are still fuzzy at best but we should have more information by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sigh* I just need to e-mail them and be pathetic... not that hard...

    AND I KNOW RIGHT? FROM AN ACTUAL COW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Meghan, that is just freaky.
    A big mooing cow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME, GIRL! You're making great progress. Is the college you're attending called Trinity? I read an article this morning in Curve magazine about Ireland and they talked about it quite a bit. So decided to check in on you since you're not facebooking until after lent and I kinda miss you.
    Lauren (my Lauren, not your mom) have decided to move to Rehoboth Beach and I started a blog, too, to keep everyone updated. You're welcome to take a look: http://destinationrehoboth.blogspot.com/
    Keep up the good work... and damn that fish sounds good!
    xo
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH. Sorry Rei, I didn't see your last comment... who is Mariah? Wait. Is that the Mariah with the hair?

    How much would we be paying each? Would that still work out? I still need to e-mail them... and my advisor, she never replied when I asked her what classes I need to take...

    And MJ, I'm in Belfast, so I'm at Queen's. Trinity is the super old, big college in Dublin. I just visited Trinity last weekend, in fact. That's where the Book of Kells is, and the Brian Boru Harp. I wish I lived here so I could go to grad school there or something...!

    I've never heard of Rehoboth Beach. Is it nice?

    I just want to move here XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you'll come back and finish school here and then go back to Ireland.
    Rehoboth Beach is in Delaware and is an amazing gay friendly town. And Meghan, you would LOVE MJ and her wife Lauren.
    They are artistic and amazing women.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to come back, finish school, work till I can get into school again, and then I don't know what. If I'm still mentally healthy at that point, I might try to get back to the UK or Ireland. I love it here... people keep asking me if I'm homesick, and I have to keep exlpaining, no, this feels like home.

    ReplyDelete