Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why I'm Going Slowly Insane

An excerpt from one of the books for my anthropology class, written in 1975:

"Since it had never adequately clarified the distinction between a totalising method (in which the formation of parts is explained with reference to a developing structure of determinations) and ethnographic holism (in which different 'institutions' of a society are all described and linked to one another); and since it had in general confused structural determination with simultaneity, concrete developements in the world outside pushed functional anthropology until it collapsed into micro-sociology."

Yeah. Right. Got that?

That was, I'd like to point out, a single sentence.

This is not a happy dance my brain is doing right now.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. It made my brain hurt and my mind wander.
    All in one sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why people make fun of the social sciences :P

    Well, one of the reasons...

    It's okay. My paper isn't much better. I hate it when they give you a word count...

    ReplyDelete