Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What is my name? What is my quest? What is my favourite colour?

POLL: What should my name be as Gaeilge?

1. Mairéad (mahr ADE)

2. Peigín (PEG een)

It was never a problem in the States, but here, people know a Welsh name when they hear it. I'm beginning to lose count of how many times I've had to explain I'm not Welsh-American, I'm Irish-American, really... and I'm now considering what I should call myself in Irish to avoid this.

In other news, I've had one of those absurdly absent-minded days that will have everyone back home rolling their eyes, but I did get a new pair of glasses out of it. And, considering just how fabulously incompetent I can be (exhbitited in days such as these) I feel much better having two pairs of glasses. I just know I'll accidently drop the old pair in the Liffey or a gutter* or something awkward like that.

I've also come to the startling conclusion that my favourite colour may, in fact, be green. That is, my favourite colour is rainbow, all colours, and/or jewel tones and/or earth tones, and so on and so forth, but that doesn't cut it when people ask you what your favourite colour is when they're trying to pick you out a toothbrush or something. Accepting blue as inevitable, I seem to be choosing everything (yarn, books, etc.) in green. This may be because I like a lot of greens, but only a few reds (brick reds, oranges) and yellows (gold yellow). Interesting.

ALSO: I'm going, after I write up my fabulous day, to write another entry with some Irish words. If anybody has any words they'd like me to look up in my handy-dandy dictionary, and/or ask somebody, and to translate into Irish, tell me! Though I'll warn you I've got a small baby's sense of grammar...

And because I can't let you go without a picture, here are some pretty clouds. Be happy for a little bit, wherever you are and however stressed you are - there are pretty clouds in the sky.



*Evidence suggests this is genetic. Though it was probably a bad idea for my dad to jump up and down on that drain grate in the first place.

13 comments:

  1. I like Mairead...we actually considered naming you Maeve.

    "Anglicization of the Gaelic name Maebh (also Méabh, Madhbh, Medb).

    Medb was the great warrior queen of Connacht in the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. Her name might be related to mad (child), or to meisce and mean "the cause of great intoxication".
    Hence the meaning "intoxicating, she who makes men drunk"."

    And really, green? This is a surprise to you?
    BTW, I have at least a dozen skeins of wool blend yarn for you when you get back to the states. A bunch in deep mustard yellow and a bunch in green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be the Irish form of "Margaret" :)

    Peigin is basically the Irish form of my actual name, however it annoyingly doesn't start with an M. I don't know. I like the G... but Mairead sounds a lot more, um, dignified (obviously, more so than Megan, Meghan, Meggie, etc. which are all, technically, cutesy diminutive nicknames for Margaret).

    The rest of my name would be Eilís Ní Fhoirréidh-Mhórdha, btw. Yes, really. EL-ees nee [no-idea]-VOR-ya. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your name, so far as I can tell, would be spelled Láren Ní Fhoirréidh. Dunno about the Teresa bit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, I'll start using it immediately, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nobody cares about Irish... oh well.

    I'll have to write about tourism stuff :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I care! I just dont know what name you should use! Finding out more housing stuff. If you cant have a single we found a roommate for you. She's really nice and I feel comfortable around her so you should be ok. Still would be great if you could have the single. Any word on that?

    Oh and sad news. Dove died Friday. I noticed Thursday that she wasn't eating and nothing I could do would make her.She refused both blueberries covered in yogurt and cheese. I'm still broken up about that. Eclipse is still around though her tumor is really big and impairing her movement. I wish there was something I could do. Priss is also developing the same tumor as Eclipse. Makes me sad. Must be bad genetics since they were littermates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about Dove. At least she had a good life - rats may have short lives, and we all have to die sometime, but hers was full of exciting cardboard and treats (and a lot of anime) which is a fine time for any rat.

    I've heard tumors are common in female rats (mine were males, so they just got fat and scabby). How old are Priss and Eclipse now?

    About rooms/roommates: Who is she? I still need to figure out who to e-mail. I've been really slow this week(explanation above...) and I just heard that Kayte might need a roommate, and I need to figure out what I should do. Bleh. I'll do e-mails tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and going back to the first comment: I'm glad you didn't name me Maeve. It's too strong-feminine and grown-up sounding. I'm certainly not "intoxicating, she who makes men drunk" XP

    I would've been okay with Abigail or Jillian (or was that with a G?) though. I would've also been an excellent Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or Elisabeth, I would've done well with that as a first name as well. But I'd be a Beth, not a Liz. Certainly not a Lisa. Bridget Elisabeth is a nice name. OOH or Jane. I could be a Jane. I like the name Jane. You see I'm too small and funny-looking to have an "intoxicating" name, but I could be named Jill or something like that without it being silly.

    I'm on lots of meds right now, can you tell?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's easy to tell you're on meds. I'll send an email with info about everything. I'd hate it if you lived far away from me though... I'd never see you. Oh and the rats are about 3 years old give or take.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, yes the Gillian I wanted to name you was with a "G" and then I wanted to call you Gilly (hard "G") which really I think would have been perfect for you. Father said no.
    I loved Bridget but Nana would have had a fit since that is what Granddad Tyke called her for years and years. But I agree that Bridget Elisabeth would have been a good name for you.
    But your father and I couldn't agree on ANYTHING. You were almost here when we came up with Meghan. You can always change your name, you know! If my mother had named me (like she wanted) Cecelia Louise, I think I really would have had to change my name!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cecelia Louise XD

    Wow.

    Sounds like "celiac disease".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though I like the name Cecelia I would not put it in front of Louise...

    ReplyDelete