Friday, April 8, 2011

A Bit About The Irish Language

I know, I know. I have loads more to write about Dublin, and pictures galore. But that's too much work. So I'm going to write about language instead (and, across the Atlantic, I can hear your eyes roll...)

The basics: the Gaelic, or Goidelic, language group includes Irish, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx. Irish Gaelic is called Irish or, in Irish, "gaeilge." It is taught in many schools here, and though the language is by no means widespread, there are thousands of people who speak the language fluently in non-classroom settings (you can go look up actual statistics if you like), and many Irish in diaspora countries are trying to re-learn it.

Like English, it's confusing in that it's difficult to tell the pronounciation from the written language (unlike, say, Spanish). And it can be different depending on where you are: for instance, a word ending in igh is pronounced "ee" in one county, but can change to "ig" if you drive for a while. Also, there's lenition, by which a word is changed by other words in a sentence to start with different consanant sounds. And lots more like that. I'm interested in learning it because it's a beautiful, complex language, and I'm all for keeping languages alive (I was one of those kids who learned to write in Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs... yeah).

I loathe the attitude towards it held my many Americans who seem to think of it as a dead, fairy language that they can "translate" names and tattoos into as part of their heritage. And I use that word with all the wincing sarcasm I can muster. I feel almost embarrased to identify myself as Irish-American here. You can see the Irish get that look in their eyes, like, "Oh God, it's one of them," and I have to hastily add that my family came from Ireland, that's it, I've never drunk green beer or eaten corned beef in my life or searched for a fake family crest on Google. Really.

My name, written in Irish, is Peigín* Eilís Ní Fhoirréidh-Mhórdha. I have no idea how to pronounce the "Foirréidh" bit, but the rest would be PEG-een EL-ees nee WOR-ya (or possibly VOR-ya). The bit before the surname shows it's my maiden name... "Ní" is the female form of "Ó" and, and, because it's feminine, puts an "h" in teh beginning of the following word (so Mórdha becomes Mhórdha). This is because Furey and Moore both begin with Ó in Irish. If my name began with Mac, I think it would be Nic. Or Nhic.

By now I hope you'll understand what I mean by complex. Yes? Good.

Here is a list of Irish words, just for fun - I'm going to see what I can write from memory:


Apple – úll
Bell – clog
Blessing – beannacht
Boat – bád
Book - leabhar
Brother - deartháir
Cat - cat
Computer - ríomhaire
Cow – bó
Daughter - iníon
Dog - madra
Father - athair
Fish - iasc
Flower - bláth
Food - bia
Goodbye – slán
Heart - croí
Hello - (to one person) Dia duit
House - teach
Love - grá
Mother - máthair
Music - ceol
Please - le de thoil
Post office - oifig an phoist
Rain - fearthainn, báisteach
Rainbow - bogha báistí
River - abhainn
Shop - siopa
Sister - deirfiúr
Sky - spéir
Son – mac
Star - réalta
Tea – tae
Thank you - (to one person) go raibh maith agat
Tree - crann
Welcome - fáilte

If there's any words anyone wants to know... or tranlastions... I've got a dictionary and I'm signed on to an online translation forum. And I'm in Ireland. Just saying. And I do hope to spend time in the Irish-speaking part of Ireland, not Belfast or Dublin, but in the southwest around Galway... which I've heard is a beautiful area anyway... maybe I'll go there next week after classes, and plan out where I'll go over break!

Here are some signs in Irish and English, found in Dublin, featuring some of the more important** words:





And some others... signs from Trinity, and one of the street signs. All the street names are written in both languages as well. My personal favourite was Lána na Bó. I can't remember the English, but that means "Cow's Lane" and is just fun to say.




And, from my wonderfully productive YouTube searches, two funny*** little videos involving Irish:

"Fluent Dysphasia" (first of two parts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNI9eBGYpvw

More on Dublin later, I promise! Now I have to go write a paper...


* I know, I know... but my name's just not Margaret! I'm sorry! You shouldn't have given my sister and I the SAME NAME. She can be Mairéad.
** Food is very important.
*** Warning: British humour. Some Americans might find it a little slow or understated. Keep in mind, the best parts are at the end.

9 comments:

  1. Being in Ireland will make it much easier. When I lived in Canada everything was in English and French. I learned more French there in two months than I learned in two years at high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I have to go back to the States in six weeks!!! It makes me want to cry every time I think about it.

    And I just found the Irish radio station!

    True, the most I got from what I just heard was, there's some kind of concert happening at the Culture Centre in Belfast at 7:00, and it has something to do with Scotland, and somebody named Fiona, BUT STILL it's amazing being able to listen to the language being spoken. Once I get home, that's gone, and nobody will care...

    I have to come back to this country. I don't know how. But I can't live out the rest of my life in the States once I've been here... unless I find people to talk to who will learn Irish with me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. No... Fiona is being interviewed right now. She's being asked about traditional Scottish Gaelic music, and she's singing.

    This is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting the video links. They were great.
    And I will be forever sorry about the name thing. I blame your father!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I'm glad somebody watched them... there are some great things on YouTube if you look in the right places! I think those both came off TG4, which is the Irish channel over here. They have a website where you can apparently buy Dora the Explorer dvds in Irish (I'm still wondering about that... is she speaking in Irish, teaching Spanish???) Hmmm...

    It's okay, I'm just a member of the large group of eccentrically-named Irish-American kids. At least Meghan hasn't got a "y" in it (there's no y in Irish).

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTiSak8r9P8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

    I really want this movie, but I can't get it here (because of the region, my computer won't play it). Cartoon Saloon animation is so cool-looking, and in this clip (this is my excuse for posting it) the forest spirit sings a bit in Irish... "this life is but mist, we are alive but a short time" or something close to that.

    Also, the cat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of movies, have you seen "The Secret of Roan Inish"? I know what the boy shouts at the schoolteacher XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Secret of Roan Inish is the first movie you ever saw in the movie theater. Terry and I took you and your sister.
    So you were brainwashed young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fh (ḟ) is silent in Irish. It was originally written with an overdot which symbolised deletion.

    Foirréidh is basically pronounced as Furey, the idh like igh/aigh is pronounced ad a "y". In your case as it's has lenition Ní Fhoirréidh would be pronunced like: Nee Ur-ey (like Ur the city)

    In the podcast here, you can hear the name "Cathal Ó Foirréidh" been said: http://www.nearfm.ie/podcast/index.php?id=510

    Some good explanations here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_orthography
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_for_Irish

    ReplyDelete