Saturday, April 16, 2011

Food, Glorious Food

It just occurred to me that it's been a while since I talked about eating something weird.

I shall now attempt to make up for this slovenly behaviour.

This is dulse:

Dulse is a type of edible seaweed, that you can buy in little baggies from the Whitten's - the local fruit & veg shop. It tastes exactly like you'd expect seaweed to taste - very, very strongly of the sea.

This is spaghetti with mushrooms, cheese, and dulse:


For those of us who appreciate the delicately interwoven flavours of seawater and fungus. Mmm!

Then there are these, not so weird:


An unexpected sight for people with a TV-view of the UK. But, yes, they do have cookies here. They're what we in the States would call chocolate-chip cookies. Here, that term is redundant.

And then:

Yes. I did find noodles in a packet. I can always find noodles in a packet. Apparently, they're made in Singapore, and the flavour packets have pictures of the animals they're supposed to taste like, just in case you can't read any of the several languages splattered on the package.

Time for dinner!

2 comments:

  1. When I worked for Wild Oats Markets (later bought out by Whole Foods) we sold Dulce and lots of other seaweed types of products. I always thought it was why the Japanese recovered from the atomic bombs and seem like just a healthy race. Of course, with the situation with the Fushika Atomic Plant so screwed up and spewing radiation, I guess that theory goes down the drain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of people eat seaweed... I think it's funny that it's become known in the States as something that the Japanese eat. Like, everyone knows about it here, and there's even an Irish folk song partly about edible seaweed...

    ReplyDelete